Monday, July 21, 2008

Washing Diapers

This is the one thing people tell me keeps them from using cloth diapers. I will admit, I'm a SAHM (Stay at Home Mom) so it's easier for me to throw in a load of diapers in the middle of the day. But I honestly don't think it's that hard, and if you time things right, you could do a load at night after work every 2-3 days and it would work out fine. It's easier to wash diapers than clothes because you don't have to sort, fold, or put on hangers! The diapers can sit in the washer or dryer until you're ready to deal with them. The different brands are getting better about giving specific instructions on how to wash their diapers than they did when I started.

Prefolds are probably the most forgiving things to wash. I don't see how you could ever ruin them. Anything with elastic or a waterproof layer needs to be cared for more carefully.

Here's what I've learned NOT to do with our pocket diapers:
Don't soak
Don't use vinegar

I use this system with all of our diapers:

Detergent:
I use All Free&Clear, but there are several brands recommended on various web sites. Make sure there are no dyes, perfumes, brighteners, enzymes, fabric softener, or wrinkle guards.

Diaper Pail:
I use a Snap-EZ liner in a tall kitchen trash can with lid and step opener

Wash Routine:
1. Run the prewash cycle with COLD water and a splash of detergent
2. Run a regular cycle with HOT water and 1/2 the recommended amount of detergent
3. Run a 2nd Rinse
4. Dry everything on Medium
5. Hang anything that is still damp (usually the All-In-Ones take longer to dry)

Frequency:
I washed every 3 days with a toddler, every 2 days with a toddler and a newborn

Here's a link to the info on washing on the cotton babies site: http://www.cottonbabies.com/clothdiapers.php#detergent

Stains:
Poo stains come RIGHT out in the sun! I just lay them outside, and the stains come out in a matter of hours in our Colorado sun. I think the sun kills bacteria as well.

3 comments:

J.A.M.P. said...

This is exactly my complaint with the fancy cloth diapers. They are too dainty in the wash!

The best thing that has helped me in washing has been getting a new, side loader washer with a "sanitary" cycle. I don't have to remember to forward the laundry. Just press a button and go! I dry on the line when possible, as it removes stains and odors.

"Biocleen" products are also highly recommended and can be found at natural food stores.

KRISTI said...

I've been line drying everything right now, too. Why no vinegar?

Cari said...

I'm not sure why, but the Cotton Babies website says not to use vinegar. It may be the reason my seams wore out. Line drying in the sun is great for getting out the stains too! I am too lazy to do it these days...