Monday, June 30, 2008

How do you begin?

I think the hardest part of cloth diapering is just deciding what to buy and how to get started. If you still aren't sure after reading this, just buy a few and see how you like them before getting a complete stash.

WHAT KIND?
Look at the panel on the left for definitions of the major types of cloth diapers. The way I see it, the cheapest options are a little more difficult to use, and the most expensive are the easiest to use. Here they are from least to most expensive:

Prefolds and Covers
Contours and Covers
Fitteds and Covers (see note)
Pockets
All-in-Ones

note: I don't think fitteds are easier to use than contours, but they may hold in the mess better than a prefold or contour that was put on poorly

Now, if you are a mom, and plan to stay home with the baby for a while, any diapering system will become easy. Let's face it, you're changing up to 10 diapers a day, and it doesn't take long to get used to any type of diaper.

If you plan to have other people change a lot of your baby's diapers, and you have a larger budget, you might want to consider a more easy to use diaper like a pocket or all-in-one.

I think it would be smart to start with prefolds and covers and see how they work for you. They are a small investment ($1-$1.50 per prefold and around $12 per cover) and the prefolds can be used for many things if you don't end up liking this system. If you're sure you want something super easy to use, and have the budget for them, then go for the pockets or all in ones.

HOW MANY?
We started with 19 diapers for our first, and that is all we have ever needed for her (we use a one-size diaper). It lets me do laundry every 3 days (or every 2 days when she was an infant) I don't think you really want to let diapers sit for longer than 3 days. If you're using covers, you need 4-6 covers for a newborn, less for an older child.

WHAT ELSE?
You'll also need a container for holding the dirty diapers. I use a large garbage can with a lid and a step opener. I use a wet bag, which is lined with PUL inside, like this one:
http://www.snap-ez.com/CartDiaperPailLiners.html

Cloth wipes are the best thing to use with cloth diapers. You could cut them yourself from fabric of your choice, or use baby washcloths. We use baby washcloths, and they fit perfectly in a wipes warmer when folded in half. After placing the wipes in the warmer, I pour water over them and they are ready to go whenever I need them. You could also use an old disposable wipes container instead of a warmer, or just keep them in a pile and wet them as you need them. Just throw the dirty ones in with the dirty diapers.

WHERE TO BUY?
Generally, the best cloth diapers are found online. You may also find them in some specialty baby stores, but the ones are Target and BabiesRUs are not very good quality. Check out some of the sites on the left panel here. Most of these sites are run by moms and have very good service.

1 comment:

nitsua said...

I started using cloth diapers last week (after picking Cari's brain frequently on the subject). The change over was a simple one and not that hard to learn or apply. The first day she woke up more often due to feeling the wetness close to her skin, but since then sleeps just fine now. I have heard that babies get diaper rash easy with cloth diapers. I have been using my Bottoms Up Balm on her toosh with about every other changing and so far so good. The Bottoms Up Balm is a completely natural Lemongrass Spa product made in Bailey, Colorado. You can purchase it online at www.ourlemongrassspa.com/heidihuey

I bought all my diaper products online at www.denverdiaperco.com She is located for me locally so I can pick up what I order or she can ship it to you if that is not an option. I choose (24) chinese prefolds, unbleached (more natural) with 5 covers. I tried a couple different covers to see what I liked best. So far I like the the Thirsties brand covers... they have a fat velcro base, little side tabs to stick the velcro tabs while changing the baby, so they don't stick to everything and two sets of elastic gussets around the legs. The design of the cover makes sure that the prefold stays in. I have had to make sure to tuck the prefold in at the leg holes with the Super Bummie covers. Diaperaps are my next favorite type due to similar reasons. When I change the baby I use a 'bikini twist' which is only a twist of the prefold diaper between the legs of the baby to keep most of the pooh in the back and the pee in the front.

I bought flannel wipes (24 pack) to use in my wipes container. I found a cool way to get them to come up through the wipe container if I fold one into the other alternating. It really works! I soak them in Pumpkin Booty Soap Bits that are diluted in water. I do only 12 wipes at a time and half of the soapy water, for if the damp cloths sit for more than 2 days they get a funky smell.

I wash my wipes, prefolds and diapers when I get half way through my stash which is about every couple days. I put my dirty diapers into a medium Planet Wise Wet Bag. It is small enough to keep at the changing table and it zips. It also holds half of my diapers and wipes, so when it is full it is time to do the wash. I throw it right in with the diapers when I wash them and have a second for the other half of my diapers. I keep a small one in my travel diaper bag for when I am on the go. So far I haven't had to add anything to the bag to keep the smells at bay, but I am also breastfeeding. They have powders and other things to put in the bag if it does get to a stinky phase.
I wash the diapers with half the detergent, on a warm wash, cool rinse, double the rinse and then hang dry them on my drying rack in the sunny window (winter time). The sun really does take the stains away within a day or two.
All in all the change has been really easy! The only difference for me is washing things instead of throwing them away. It is nice that I can make a huge difference in the world with a small change on my part. It is a win-win too for it is much cheaper on my wallet at a time when money is not a luxury due to being on one income now. I highly suggest cloth diapering to everyone and anyone!